Friday, November 20, 2015

Google AdSense is trying to help me make more money but I say no thank you

I got an email from Google Adsense rep mykle (it's always a lower case m) on the following tips to making more money on my blog.  I pasted most of it here but if you want the tl;dr version, basically to make more money I need to make it harder for my readers to read my content.  For example instead of putting all of the post in one easy to read page, Adsense suggest I only have a small excerpt of the beginning and then do a "Read More" button to redirect you to another page (which I find annoying on other people's blogs) or put an ad before and after a blog post (again, annoying).  Or unblock general categories so that you can see ads for anything and everything (no thanks, no lawyer ads for mesothelioma lawsuits on my blog please).  Sure earning more than $0.50 a day from ads on my blog would be nice but at what cost?  Or do you think I'm just over-reacting?  Would readers still enjoy the content even with these extra inconveniences?


The email from Google Adsense:


The following recommendations are AdSense optimizations and best practices to help you grow your revenue: 

Change the position of your current adsOther publishers with similar sites to yours have found success placing ads before and right after the articles, as that is the area where your users are most focused on! Additionally, since you have a good amount of mobile traffic, keep in mind that your two ads on the right panel will have very low visibility since they are forced to the bottom of the page, below your articles. 

I would recommend placing a responsive ad at the beginning of your articles, right after the title and date. I would then place another ad at the end of the articles, before the tags. Depending on how your website works, you may have to add the code manually to the beginning and end of the articles when creating a new post.

Adjust your website theme/design Your site has lots of great, well written articles. However, they are shown in their entirety on your home page and users can essentially read several articles and you'd only get 3 (2 at this time) impressions. In order to increase the number of impressions on your site, I would recommend displaying only a portion of your articles on your homepage with a photo and have a "Read more.." button/link to direct users to view the article on its own separate page. 

If you make this change to your homepage, I would recommend placing an ad at the header, just below the logo, and another ad in-between the articles or at the bottom of the page.

Keep General Categories unblockedI noticed you had 15 blocked categories. When you block categories, it reduces the amount of advertisers competing for space on your website, which means there is less competition and lower CPCs. As a best practice, we advise publishers to keep all General Categories unblocked.

As an alternative to blocking whole categories, you can block specific ads in the Ads Review Center under the Allow & Block ads tab.

Try page-level adsThese new page-level ads are specifically for mobile and do not count against your 3 ad limit. 

Once you have implemented these settings, please let me know and I will review your setup to make sure you are optimized.

No comments:

Post a Comment