Wednesday, November 4, 2015

Thank you to my readers who help me make some cents (and dollars) on my blog!

No reason for this picture other than it's awesome

Back when I went to Alt Summit this past June, most of the bloggers there were already monetizing their blog.  But I thought that would be a long way off for me.  But right around August, I noticed traffic to my site picking up so I decided to try out an affiliate program.  My first choice?  Amazon (because duh,  it has everything.)  The first day I sent a bunch of emails to my friends to ask for their support since I wasn't sure if I could qualify for the program with my own blog (you need to make a sale in a certain period to be fully qualified for Amazon's program).  And for a month or so I didn't really make any money from Amazon.  But as I started to write more product reviews, of products I purchased myself from Amazon, I started earning a small percentage (I'm talking about earning cents here).  But as more traffic came the overall total increased.  As of today (early November), I'm at $50 (yipeee!).  I know it's not a ton, but it feels great that my writing is earning me something!

I also added Google Adsense to my blog.  These are the ads that you see on the right, in my sidebar.  I limited it as much as I could to fashion (so you won't be seeing really annoying ads for weightloss and lawyers).  But I also earn cents every time someone scrolls past it.  If it's an ad for something you actually want to buy (like if it's a retargeted ad), and you click on it, then I earn as much as $1.  Again, not much but it's something.  Currently, since August I'm at $14.

Finally, I do a lot of Everlane reviews.  I usually add a referral link in there at the end or the beginning of the post because for every person who signs-up and then purchases something from Everlane, I get $25 in credit.  And last week I got my first $25!  Which is awesome because everyone knows how much I love Everlane!

Also last week I got my first invite into an affiliate program.  But it was for UK companies I wasn't familiar with.  After some research, I realized that these were companies I would never purchase from.  And so I said no.  It didn't feel right to promote them just for the sake of promotion.  If I promote anything on my blog, I want it to be items I have actually purchased or would have purchased myself.  Because at the end of the day I need to stay true to my readers (about 1500 of you who are repeat readers on Temporary Housewifey) and I write this blog to share my life, not to make money (that's just the frosting!).  So thank you all for your support!

No comments:

Post a Comment